Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This top is out of the SWAP


As I suspected from the initial stage of SWAP planning, the knots on the straps don't fit under the jacket. I like the top anyway and I am glad I have made it, but it doesn't go in my PR SWAP.
Another view of the top - the colours show better but the damn flash in the mirror gives a strange lighting uf.



I copy here the review I wrote for PR, in case you are interested in more details.
Pattern Description:
Beginning sewers will have no problem making this sleek top as it’s cut quite simply. We’ve knotted the straps to add interest.

Pattern Sizing:
36-44. I am a 34 so I sized down the pattern.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

It definitely does.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I never look at Burda instructions. I've started sewing in my teenage years, with Burda magazines in German (I don't speak a word of German!) and learned from my own mistakes. Now, I have the Romanian version of Burda, but I still don't look at the instructions, I do it my way, especially since everybody complains about their instructions being scarce and sometimes difficult to understand.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It's a very simple top that you can sew in one hour. I like very much the knotted straps which add an unique touch to an otherwise very simple top.

Fabric Used:
Cotton/lycra jersey in a avocado/limegreen pale colour.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
First, I sized down the pattern from 36 to 34.
Also, I sewed the straps to the back of the top normal and not gathered as indicated in the magazine. I just liked it more this way and didn't want the additional bulk.
Last, I did quite a wide hem (1 and 3/8 inches) as the top was quite long. It is the first time I'm doing a wider hem on a knit top and I really like the way it looks.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will sew it again in a black cotton/lycra, it would make a nice top for going out and dancing. I definitely recommend it, it is easy to sew, quick and has an interesting design.

1 comment:

Tany said...

It's gorgeous! I might do one for me too because I have that BWOF issue!!