Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SWAP item #3


Actually it's item #5, I already did the organza kiwi skirt (Burda WOF 05/2007 - 125) and the white wrap dress (Vogue 7693) but as they are both cut on bias, they are hanging in my closet for another 24 hours before I can hem them.

Detail of the invisible zipper


Detail of the satin ribbon and eyelet lace



Detail of bias binding (the bias binding is cut from the same organza as the skirt)



Review on PR:
Pattern Description:
Burda World of Fashion 03/2007, top 120. Embroidered lace fabric and satin ribbon accentuating the empire line upgrade this romantic top into a trendy highlight.

Pattern Sizing:
34-42. I made 34.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it surely does.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don't read nor use Burda instructions, I just do it my way. Plus this pattern is really not difficult.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the flowing bottom part, very much in trend nowadays, the feminine cut of the top and the ribbon detail.
Beware the top has quite some cleavage, definitely more than in the photo (I thought that it's because I'm petite, but no, I couldn't have done a petite alteration, the darts fit me perfectly as they are! Well, it's not the first time I notice that Burda tops have more cleavage in real life than in magazine pictures) I like it this way, it is very nice for going out. During the day or in the office I just wear an elastic bustier underneath, that ends just below my breast (the type that you buy in bra shops).
For the next top however I might add an inch all around starting from straps and therefore widening them and adding an inch to the neckline too.

Fabric Used:
A nice and drapey viscose. The bias binding is cut in organza, from the remnants of a skirt that you will see soon (is hanging in the closet before hemming, because it is cut on the bias).

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
The top in the magazine is lined. Mine is not, I want it to be really flowy and easy to wear during very hot summers in Bucharest. Therefore I needed a finishing at armholes and neckline and I decided to bind them in the same kiwi organza that I did my PR SWAP skirt, thus coordinating the top with the skirt even better. The bias is folded, then sewed to the neckline, wrapped around it and then sewed in the ditch.

I replaced the ribbon at the empire cut with an eyelet lace plus a piece of satin bias ribbon, both white. Didn't want green here too, it would have been to matchy-matchy IMHO.

I've cut a 1 1/2 inch hem allowance and when trying the top, I discovered i like it longer, therefore only did a narrow hem.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will definitely sew it again, I like it very much, it is both trendy and feminine. Plus not very difficult to sew. I'm thinking of another flowy version (cotton batiste maybe) and one in a heavier lace, with lining, of course - more like an evening top.

7 comments:

Bonnie O. said...

Laura:
I love this top. The kiwi trim is so lovely with the delicate flower print.

I have a question for you... I see a lot of reviews at PR for Burda magazine patterns. Are these patterns actually included in the magazine? i.e. if I bought the spring issue, would it have patterns in it? Or do you get them some other way.

If you have time to answer, I'd really appreciate it! bonnie_crocker@yahoo.com

Kitty Couture said...

Your top is so beautiful! Love your fabrics and colours combination. It's the first time I'm visiting your blog.

Summerset said...

Thank you for posting this! This top is one of those I was considering making some time. It's nice to see it made up, but was a bit surprised to see how low the neckline was. Now I can just redraft that portion if I make it - I'll have to put a note in my BWOF about that.

At any rate, I like your choice of trim and you've done a great job of matching it at the zipper.

The J said...

Love it!!

I seem to be missing a lot in my perusal of the BWOF's online... must track them down in person!

Tumblina.

Tany said...

I love it! Very cute and delicate, it's really beautiful!

Katrin said...

The top is really cute. A very nice colour combination.
What is this for a pattern ?

LauraLo said...

Hi, Katrin, it's top 120 from Burda World of Fashion 03/2007.
Thanks everybody for your very nice comments!
LauraLo