Monday, April 2, 2007

I'm back

Finished my exams, even if not entirely satisfied with how I did. I'm trying not to think about it for the time being, as I will only know the results in the second half of May.
Started sewing but didn't have time or the necessary state of mind to take pictures, guess pictures will have to wait until after Easter.
I'm working hard on my SWAP. I've finished the black skirt, copied after the Hot Patterns Bustle Back skirt. I've used a pattern copied after RTW and altered it accordingly (the original version was a skirt straight in the front and with four panels in the back, flaring at the bottom and slightly longer than the front).
I've also finished the Jalie cami (2546). I wanted to use a wide black elastic lace, so I've altered the top a bit, giving it a V finish instead of the normal rounded one (see the red line in the drawing). Used black foldover elastic for the straps.

My reversible top still needs hemming (don't know why I can't convince myself to do it).
I've also progressed on a white cotton batiste blouse, using the Brown Patterns basic shell pattern. I've altered it a bit, slashing it in the front quite deep (I'm planning to wear a cami underneath anyway, as the batiste is really sheer). I've also added short sleeves. Didn't want puffy sleeves but didn't want regular sleeves either, so I did a tuck at the center of the sleeve, both where the sleeve joins the arm and at the sleeve's hem. I don't think my words are very clear, it will get better when I post pictures :)
I'm also adding some lace vertically on the front of the blouse, a bit like the look of the Romanian traditional blouses.
It does take some work however, the batiste being very sheer ravels terribly. I'm doing French seams and have to be very careful so raveled threads from the seam allowance don't get caught up in my seam and show on the right side.
I've also started working on the Hot Patterns Denim Diva Wrapture jacket. I'm doing it in black velvet. Instead of encasing the edges in contrast bias, I'm using piping, a black satin with little white polkadots. I've cut the lining in a quilted fabric, with quite thin batting, also black.
I love the way the jacket looks so far, I think it will be great in the end and already thinking of doing another one - maybe a grass green with some contrast bias - have to think what colour.
This jacket should work great with all the items on my SWAP, so it would fit in the SWAP extension I guess.
Cut the Vogue 8368 (Divine Details jacket) in a spring-weight white and black mystery fabric (it's cotton and something and it has a bit of boucle), interfaced it and cut the lining. I want to do a simple version, so I won't use any lace on the front nor in the back. I've altered the center back piece accordingly.

Hope to be back soon with photos!


Tany said...

I'm so glad you're back! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Summerset said...

Glad to see you're back and the exams are over!